Who is PrEP For?
PrEP is recommended for people who are HIV negative and:
- At high risk for HIV infection
- In a relationship with an HIV + positive person
- Men who have sex with men
- Sex with multiple partners
- Sex with partners of unknown HIV status
- Does not use condoms regularly
- Engages in sex work
- Recent STI infection within the last six months
- Engages in sex with an injection drug user in the past year
- You have taken emergence post exposure prophylaxis (PEP) to prevent HIV infection in the past year
- Have use stimulants, poppers, cocaine, meth , ecstasy, GHB or shared needles
- Been in treatment program for injection drug use
While highly effective at preventing HIV, PrEP does not protect against other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Condoms provide protection against other STDs, in particular gonorrhea and chlamydia.